Sunday, June 14, 2009

Stages 5 and 6

Stage 5: Mankato Road Race, 92 miles, The Queen Stage

This week, as part of the Ryan experience, I did two radio interviews for Mankato. In both interviews, when asked about the hill in the finishing circuit, someone responded with "I don't even want to WALK up that hill!" The race is 80 miles of flat Minnesota farmland followed by 4 brutal finishing circuits in downtown Mankato. Each time around the circuit has about a mile long climb that averages 14%...ouch.

I was worried about this race. I don't get nervous much, and I couldn't tell if it was nerves or the constant over-caffienated state I've kept myself in for a week, but I could barely keep my hands straight. This unhealthy state existed until the glorious final ten seconds, after the national anthem (which almost makes me pee my pants every time it's played on the start line) when they played the JOCK JAMS REMIX. You know, the one that has every high school pump up song on it. That's my jam. Fortunately, this seriously fired me up and I lost all inhibitions about my ability or desire to race for 91 miles. Unfortunately, I heard this song about a trillion and one times in my head for the following 4 hours.

The race was easy, much easier than Cannon Falls. And somehow, in two days time, people learned how to handle their bikes much better. I felt comfortable and able to move anywhere, which is a great feeling in a race like this. After some hydration mishaps, I was surprised when my odometer read 70 miles. Only 20 more. And only 10 til the circuit! There was a break of three off the front, and most teams were represented, so everyone sat around and waited for K Armstrong to do something. She drilled it for a while, but she's one person, and one person can only do so much on a flat and windy road.

Last year upon realized I was going to enter the circuit with the pack I had a religious experience. I'm pretty sure I cried a little, maybe I was a little underhydrated and hungry, but I was so happy I had come this far with the pack. This year, I was happy, but I knew what I had left to do. Four back breaking circuits. I thought they were never going to end. I had to restrain myself from taking a beer feed from a righteous party on the backside of the circuit, but I finished. Only lost 6 minutes or something. Alright. One more day.

Stage 6: Stillwater Criterium, 13 laps

This race makes Nature Valley famous. The course is a little over a mile long, run with criterium rules. It begins at the bottom of Chilkoot Hill and ends at the top. Chilkoot Hill: the hill of all hills. It's short, but at most points it's around 20%. People literally FALL OFF their bicycles. It's sweet though, because fans line both sides of the climb, kind of like in the TDF and if you need help they'll give you a push. Most people have no idea who you are but yell for you as loud as they possibly can. You really feel famous. Even if, like me and many others, you only make it through 5 laps of the race. To officially "finish" Nature Valley, you must complete 3 laps of this course without being pulled. This in itself is a challenge and doing 5 makes me really proud. Maybe some people can't understand smiling at the end of a race you didn't even finish, but I'm incredibly thankful for this experience. Especially since today was officially K Armstrong's last race in the US. I was there, I heard the goodbye speech, I heard K Armstrong cry. But more importantly, I saw her kick everyone ASS today on that hill (you know, because I was watching by that time!).

Some photos from the week:

Yeah girl yeah! Last hill K Armstrong will ever race up in the United States.

What most of our mornings/afternoons consisted of: the computer and Marco.

Our team car/John's new car.

Check out those shiny new white Hudz.

Rita and Marco.

At the baseball game.

Gabe: our resident hipster.

The happiest grim reaper you'll ever meet.

The team.

I am happy Nature Valley is over. I was fortunate enough to have great teammates and a great time, and can't wait to have more experiences like this one. But first, I gotta get back to Seattle. Yeah!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so what were you doing with your bikes at the baseball game?

    ReplyDelete