Monday, June 1, 2009

It's not called Tough for nothin'

My second debut at Tulsa did not go as I had hoped. But, as much as this disappoints me, it also fires me up to train harder, work harder, and be much more motivated for races like this. It was HARD. It was HOT. Northwest collegiate races aren't exactly great preparation for NRC crits of 90+ riders and 27mph average speeds. Most of the highlights of this weekend have absolutely nothing to do with bike racing, and that's okay.

1. NIKE OUTLET IS OPEN. For years every road trip we've taken West from Indy has ended in disappointment to find out that the mexican Nike outlet store was closed. THIS TIME was different. Not only were they open, they sold me the most beautiful pair of hightops I have ever seen. Feast your eyes on these.

Even Harry inquired about the difference between Air Force Ones and regular hightops. We still have not found an answer.


2. Host housing is AMAZING. I knew this before, but now I'm a seriously spoiled little racer. They provided almost all of our food, we all had our own bedrooms, but the best part, is that they had a gorgeous pool/deck combo with a gazebo. It felt more like vacation than bike racing (well, let's get serious, it WAS a vacation) and when 2 hours until our race rolled around, we were sad to have to leave our oasis. Thanks Ann and Steve!

3. I got Floyd Landis's autograph! While I do have mixed feelings about this (he's a doper!) I also am pretty proud. Steve, our host dad, is tha BOSS-he actually thought up the whole idea for Tulsa Tough! So naturally, Ann and Steve were VIPs. After Friday's race they presented us with two cowbells personally autographed to us by Floyd Landis. She said she told him that I just won Nationals and he said he was "proud of me".

Overall, a poor show of bike racing, but a really fun time. Photos coming soon.

2 comments: